Glazes on the early pieces had a slight bluish-green tinge.
The name was changed to the Royal Danish Porcelain Manufactury in 1779, and became known as Royal Copenhagen.
In Denmark the chemist Frantz Henrich Mller has put his heart and soul into the enterprise.
The company adopted three waved lines—which represent Denmark’s three straits, Øresund, Store Bælt and Lille Bælt—as its trademark.
Royal Copenhagen struggled financially as it experimented with porcelain making until the absolute monarch King Christian VII took over the company in 1779 to guarantee its survival.
It wasn’t until the early 18th century that kaolin was discovered in Germany outside Colditz and Aue, and European potteries set about experimenting with making their own true hard-paste porcelain dinnerware.
Following in the footsteps of German potteries like Meissen, Danish chemist Franz Henrich Mueller founded the Royal Copenhagen porcelain factory in 1775 under the protection of Queen Juliane Marie.